Thursday, February 4, 2010

Practicum Possibilities

Well, I'm 40 hours into my 150 hour practicum now, and I'm really looking forward to the opportunities my supervisor is providing to me, some of which are in areas I never really thought I'd end up doing anything with.

The biggest area I'm going to concentrate on is obviously Greek life, as that's where I'd like to start my career in the fall. So far, I've observed a few fraternity and sorority rush rounds, which is a new experience for me since I joined through a continuous open bid my freshman year and I have no experience with sorority rush other than being annoyed by their chanting from across the street when I lived in a freshman dorm. Other projects I'll be working on are a Greek "fact book" for people unfamiliar with DePauw's Greek community, a little bit of assessment, and the development of a new job description for the faculty advisor position.

As far as other areas go, it looks like I'll be spending some time in the Multicultural Life Office, especially working with LGBT issues. I had a meeting with the coordinator of LGBT services the other day, and she thinks I could be really helpful in developing a Safe Zone program at DePauw, which sounds like a really awesome opportunity to me. The Assistant Dean was also really supportive of the idea of working on some sort of multicultural programming for Greek students, especially in relation to LGBT students.

If you'd asked me even a month ago, I never would have thought I'd be pursuing so much work in the area of LGBT life. I think this position is actually going to be quite helpful in pushing me through some of Cass's development stages, even though I'm still dubious about that particular developmental model.

And the best part of all this? I GET TO MEET DAN SAVAGE WHEN HE COMES TO DEPAUW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment